Sunday, January 17, 2010

Card Show Swag!

I attended the White Plains Card Show at the Westchester County Center yesterday. I think I was one of the few people who didn't shell out the big bucks for Don Mattingly's autograph. It was cool just to see him in person though. He is still extremely popular. He signed from 12PM until around 3:30PM. Anyway, I had a great time as usual and picked up some nice cards. It's hard to pick up any Yankee stuff since the NY dealers seem to mark everything up. For example, I asked several dealers for a price on a 1993 Topps Jeter RC. Asking prices ranged from $8 to $15. I didn't dare ask about the Topps Gold version. I have picked up the base card for between $3 and $5 and the Topps Gold version for between $8 and $11.

Anyway, the first thing I did when I walked in was hit the bargain boxes. I walked away with 20 cards at 10 cents a piece. They are pictured below. My favorites are the 2006 Topps Black Chris Capuano #/55 and the 2008 Topps Chrome Bobby Crosby Refractor #/599. The Crosby is actually my first refractor.

I purchased some supplies and did a lot of window shopping before getting in line for the free John Montfusco autograph. An hour and a half later, I had a cool looking autograph. Montefusco was a pretty cool guy. He was very friendly and approachable. He was sitting at a table with Ralph Branca, Bobby Valentine, and Ed Roebuck. Although the wait was a little long, the result made it worthwhile.

After a well earned lunch, I found some decent bargains, all from the same dealer. I wound up with 12 1986 Topps Traded Barry Bonds RCs. I already had three at home. I know Bonds is a steroid using jerkass but I like the card. I also picked up some Griffey RCs on the cheap. I bought 6 1989 Topps Traded cards and 5 1989 Donruss cards. I also wanted to pick up a box of 2009 baseball cards but nothing really caught my eye. I was pretty satisfied with the experience. There really is no better way to spend a Saturday then to walk around a card show.

No comments:

Post a Comment