Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Short eBay Rant

I think I speak for many collectors when I say that eBay has gotten worse over the years. Changes in the website are always for the worse. Fees have increased. The feedback system is a joke. If eBay had a serious competitor in the online auction market, I would jump ship in a minute. Unfortunately, eBay is the only real player in online auctions. I tried Sportsbuy, but I'm not impressed. In my most recent eBay listings, however, I made an observation. It seems like offering free shipping (which eBay gently encourages - more fees for eBay!) brings in more bids and a higher selling price. This will probably be something I will continue in future listings. But why is free shipping so great? What's the difference between paying $5 with free shipping and paying $3 with $2 shipping? It seems like free shipping is just a psychological gimmick. It doesn't really matter - except that eBay will generate more revenue from fees. I'm glad I got that off my chest. I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment